The Mysterious Rhinestone Cowboy is the third album of American singer David Allan Coe, and his first on Columbia Records. Released in 1974, it is his first release in the country music genre.
All Songs written by David Allan Coe except where noted.
- “Sad Country Song” – 2:27
- “Crazy Mary” (Michael Peter Smith) – 4:04
- “River” (Coe, Marty Yonts) – 2:50
- “33rd of August” (Mickey Newbury) – 5:32
- “Bossier City” (Bobby J. Bourgoin) – 4:03
- “Atlanta Song” – 2:26
- “Old Man Tell Me” (Coe, Buzz Rabin) – 3:12
- “Desperado’s Waiting for a Train” (Guy Clark) – 5:37
- “I Still Sing the Old Songs” – 4:14
- “The Old Grey Goose Is Dead” – (traditional) 4:43
Dear Mickey, Once upon a time I thought freedom could be measured by the scars upon my mind and the promise of a good woman’s love. But I was in prison then. Freedom is knowing how to remember the weight of your chains after they’ve been removed, for each man feels his own pain in prison and each must pull his own time. people talk to me about freedom…I’ve been a prisoner all my life. This album is my third attempt at baring my soul and maybe my last. My music is free now but I haven’t forgotten those chains, those bars and those demons that danced inside my brain. Thanks for helping me through the hard times. Your friend, David Allan Coe